Saturday, May 5, 2012

what counts

Albert Einstein once said “Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted”. I agree with this greatly because I know we live in an unfair world where crooks and drug dealers get money quick and while others stay in school and work hard for minimum wage. This is why so many people turn to drugs, theft, and even trickery to get others money. They found the easy way out of their problems, even though it may come with consequences later.
Mr. Einstein seemed to be at peace with this unjust world. He made it seem as if he understood that not every good deed you do needs to be recognized or praised by others around you. I have realized that many people in the world have also come to peace with this, for example organ donors. They check yes on the application at the DMV without expecting a prize, a thank you, or anything at all. Yet by being an organ donor you can save up to nine lives. Nine lives that you will never know. Nine lives that will never be able to say thank you. Nine lives that will most likely never even know who you are. Many still mark yes on that DMV application without even second guessing it.
I have also realized that many become bitter without being recognized for their good deeds. For example last week one of my peers held the door open for me while I walked into class. I simple walked in without saying a word but I heard him say under his breath “you’re welcome”. Of course I went back and said thank you, but how many times have I held the door for him and my other peers? And how many times did they say thank you? I never yelled out “you welcome!” when they were all walking into class. This is because I felt no need to be bitter about a thank you I didn’t get. I believe that people should be kind because they simple want to be not because they want something in return.
A good deed is a good deed. I don’t think we should have to be praised for every good thing we do. Even though it feels even better when you do a good deed and we are praised for it. We should do good things because we feel it’s right not because we want something out of it. We should do good deeds because it counts for us not for everybody else.
 
 

7 comments:

  1. thonacxy i could really connect to your piece because it really made me put things into perspective and its something to live by because in a world like this even holding a door open isnt all that common most people our age will let the door slam before even going back to open it for us.Good deeds shouldnt be praised by others but rather by ourselves.Overall i enjoyed reading this because your writing flows very well and that makes it all the more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thonacxy, i really enjoyed reading your blog, it really made me think about how even the little things that people do are meaningful and that we should just do things without expecting anything in return. And i agree with you about the organ donors,and how they don't expect anything for the good deeds they are doing.and i think many people should read this quote and follow what it is trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This a very good quote and specified well with examples! The way you wrote this quote was very pleasing to read in how giving is better then to receive and working hard is better then getting things the easy way. The way our integrity is, is really the way we live. our integrity revolves around us, the way it should, and though sometimes working hard is better then working less with little integrity (like the drug dealers), for we always take much importance to our morals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Thonacxy! I really liked your blog. It informed me about new things. Your quote is amazing as well. It is very strong and makes you think while you’re reading it. Your examples are great! They helped explain your post in different ways. It was really great and I enjoyed reading it at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fully agree with your quote's explanation. Like you said people do take the easy way out instead of doing hard work. But people who do hard work always get rewarded someway or another. Even though good people don't get something in return right away I believe later on in life they will because of the good deed they did. Overall I fully understood your quotes explanation , it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great explanation. It opened my eyes to what the quote really meant, at least to you. When I first read the quote, I did not know what it meant but instead of rereading it, I decided to continue on reading the blog to get the meaning. You gave good examples that helped me see a clearer vision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed reading your blog. You have a great view of life and are very optimistic. Optimism is a great trait to have, but even so, you're still a realist which is really wonderful. Your essay is very good and you have a beautiful way of expressing your ideas. The only thing I advise you to do is watch your words. :)

    ReplyDelete